Nov 6, 2013

Israel FDC on "Rachel’s Tomb"

First Day Cover
Sobrescrito de 1.º Dia


Rachel’s Tomb

Date of Issue : 28 October 2013

The tomb of Rachel our Matriarch has been recognized in its current location near the neighborhood of Gilo, on the boundary between Jerusalem and Bethlehem, for 1700 years. In ancient times, a tombstone comprised of 12 stones, symbolizing the sons of Jacob, was set there. Later, a cupola resting on four columns was erected and in the 17th century Rachel’s Tomb was made into an enclosed structure. In 1841, Sir Moses Montefiore added another room to Rachel’s Tomb. Today, due to security constraints, the small domed building located within the Israeli enclave in the northern outskirts of Bethlehem has been fortified.

No comments:

Post a Comment