Oct 4, 2009

Estonia FDC on "Hara Lighthouse"

First Day Cover
Sobrescrito de 1.º Dia


Hara Lighthouse

Date of Issue : 24 September 2009

The small Hara Island near the western shore of Hara or Papilaht Bay (earlier Paponvik) is mainly covered with spruce forest. In 1909 an iron framework lighthouse 15.2 meters high was erected at the highest point (12 metres above sea level) of the island.

In 1954 major rebuilding of the lighthouse was carried out as the navigation mark was to be connected with a new military port. The hight of the tower was increased to 23.7 meters with the red light visible to seven nautical miles.

Its present hight is 24 metres and it consists of a cylinder with a conical red roof over a metal framework. The tip of the sea mark is clearly visible over the forest. The Hara Lightouse will be one hundred this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment