May 22, 2013

Korea FDC on "The Restoration of Sungnyemun"

First Day Cover
Sobrescrito de 1.º Dia

South Korea

The Restoration of Sungnyemun

Date of Issue : 10 May 2013

Started to be built in the 5th year of King Taejo’s Reign (in 1396) and completed in the 7th year (in 1398), Sungnyemun is one of Korea’s oldest castle gates and at the same time, one of the oldest wooden structures left in Seoul.

On Feb. 10, 2008, due to a fire, most of the second story of the pavilion and a part of its first story were destroyed. Through a 5-year-long restoration work, Sungnyemun was restored to its original condition according to the traditional techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment