Aug 26, 2012

Latvia FDC on "Palaces of Latvia - Ungurmuiža"

First Day Cover
Sobrescrito de 1.º Dia


Palaces of Latvia - Ungurmuiža

Date of Issue : 18 August 2012

The new stamp depicts the Ungurmuiža manor house. The FDC depicts a part of the Ungurmuiža wall painting created by the Limbaži painter G.D. Hinšs – a grenadier who until this very day is faithfully guarding the door of his commander. The special cancellation depicts the clock built into the manor’s garret.

The Ungurmuiža manor house lies within the territory of the Gauja National Park, in Raiskums parish. It comprises a harmonious complex of 18th century wood buildings, which has an important place among the cultural monuments of Latvia. It was built in 1732 by baron von Campenhausen as a family home, and no other baroque wood buildings have been preserved in Latvia with similarly rich wall paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment