Feb 3, 2012

Slovakia FDC on "Cultural Heritage of Slovakia: Piarist Church in Prievidza"

First Day Cover
Sobrescrito de 1.º Dia


Cultural Heritage of Slovakia: Piarist Church in Prievidza

Date of Issue : 27 January 2012

Piarists came to Horná Nitra region in 1666 at the invitation of Mária Františka Pálffyová, widow of Hungarian palatine. With her support, they finished building of college in Prievidza in 1676, and building of church two years later.

In 1740, Piarists started a complex reconstruction of their monastery church, managed by father Hyacint Hangke, a college administrator. They dismantled the original church and started to build foundations for the new one according to the demanding late baroque concept.

The church was consecrated on August 19, 1753 by Pavol Révay, Esztergom canonist and titular bishop. However, overall interior decoration and equipment in the final form was still being complemented in the second half of the 18th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment